The Institute for the Study of Peak States (ISPS) is a world-wide research, teaching, and clinical treatment organization focused on the study of the psychology and biology of consciousness. Our groundbreaking discoveries in prenatal development and in the tremendously exciting new field of subcellular psychobiology have led to an entirely new understanding of the underlying biology of psychoneuroimmunology and epigenetics. This has stunning, practical applications, allowing creation of entirely new techniques for the treatment of mental and physical diseases and the acquisition of exceptional states of consciousness.
Our original research efforts were centered around understanding the cause of spiritual, shamanic, and transpersonal experiences. Whole-Hearted Healing, a trauma healing technique that uses regression was developed for this investigation. This led to the discovery of 'peak states' of consciousness - many of which have a profound impact on quality of life - and the development of the prenatal 'developmental events model' that explains why peak experiences, events, and abilities exist.
The new field of subcellular psychobiology is an even more fundamental breakthrough. It gives a cohesive framework that shows how psychological (or spiritual) techniques work biologically. It has also enabled us to discover the underlying causes and derive treatments for a number of devastating mental (and some physical) diseases, many of which have been considered incurable. This is a whole new frontier of science; it will be decades before the huge range of applications are explored and utilized.
The Institute also encourages and supports the growth of the field of acquiring peak states by searching for and providing links to other non-Institute approaches.
To turn research into practice, we now have a school teaching our work to professionals internationally. Client safety is of utmost importance to us, so the Institute's professional training program certifies and licenses practitioners.
Our professional classes cover three different areas:
- Psychological healing techniques that widen the range of problems that a therapist can treat. They can be used on their own or as a complement to most other healing modalities, and can be easily added to a therapist's healing repertoire. The best known is Whole-Hearted Healing™, a regression technique that is suitable for everyone. It easily accesses and heals prenatal events. (The technique is given on this website as a public service.)
- Theory and methods for acquiring a variety of different, permanent peak states of consciousness. Although these techniques are only suitable for healthy people, therapists can use them to acquire particular peak states that give the therapist, after training, the ability to heal clients' major traumas extremely quickly and painlessly.
- Specializations - the teaching and licensing of therapists in the treatment of specific diseases. Our techniques are fast, effective, and permanent.
Currently the Institute focuses on just a few of the huge number of potential diseases our approach could address. Our current clinical projects include addictions, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis and autism. This is a work in progress - the addictions process is ready for clients, others are being tested and should be available soon, and some are still being derived.
Some of our processes are used by licensed therapists in their own offices. The Institute also has several clinical facilities nationally and internationally (the country flags on the left link to them).
About the Institute
The core purpose of this Institute is to find ways to improve the quality of life for all of mankind. We've written this website to help professionals and laypeople become informed on the specifics of our discoveries and keep updated as our work progresses - and to attract people who share our vision. We have a free newsletter that you may wish to subscribe to by clicking the link at the bottom of this page. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please get in touch. Enjoy!
~Shayne McKenzie, CEO
~Grant McFetridge Ph.D, Research Director
Added Oct 26, 2016: Our new CEO Shayne McKenzie (Australia) will be in Europe meeting certified therapists and people interested in our work. You can arrange meetings with him at , phone +61 (0) 432 887520 in Australia, or contact a staff person in your country.
- Thur Nov 3: Arrive in Paris (Charles De Gaulle) at 12:25pm (no accommodation booked yet)
- Fri Nov 4: Leave Beauvais Tille, France at 9am and arrive Barcelona 10:45am Fri Nov 4 (no accommodation booked yet)
- Sat Nov 5: Leave Barcelona 7:25am and arrive Gran Crania 9:45am Sat Nov 5 (staying with Agata Szyplinska)
- Sat Nov 5: Leave Las Palmas 8:20pm and arrive London Gatwick 12:25am Sun Nov 6 (yes, midnight! - no accommodation booked yet)
- Mon Nov 7: Leave London 2:10pm and arrive Vienna 5:20pm Mon Nov 7 (staying with Georg Parlow, Wilfried Ehrmann)
- Tue Nov 8: Leaving Vienna 1:30pm and arrive Hamburg 3pm Tue Nov 8 (staying with Ingka Malten)
- Wed Nov 9: Travel to Berlin (not booked yet) and then leave Berlin central bus station at 12:05pm and arrive Wroclaw bus station 4:30pm (Marzena picking me up and having dinner with Marzena and Agata Mankiewicz)
- Thu Nov 10: Visit Marzena and Agata’s autism school and then travel to Warsaw (staying with Grazyna Niedzieska)
- Sun Nov 13: Leave Warsaw 9:10am and arrive Copenhagen 10:45am Sun Nov 13 (staying with Lailah Johannsen)
- Tue Nov 15: Leave Copenhagen 9:20am and arrive Oslo 10:30am Tue Nov 15 (staying with Lars Vestby)
- Wed Nov 16: Leave Oslo 7:20am and arrive London Gatwick at 8:40am Wed Nov 16 (no accommodation booked yet)
- Thur Nov 17 - my son’s buck’s night
- Sat Nov 19 - my son’s wedding
- Sun Nov 20 evening (probably): leave London to Paris (not booked yet)
- Mon Nov 21: Leave Paris 9:25am to fly back to Sydney via Doha, Qatar
Added Oct 15, 2016: Added a webpage about our work on a treatment for Lyme disease, including the psychoimmunology principle used for creating immunity.
Added May 25, 2016: Added a webpage describing the subcellular disease that causes autism. Our new treatment should be available for clients this fall (2016).
Added Dec 21, 2015: Starting in January 2016, people suffering with a smoking addiction can get treatment from our certified therapists. This new approach is fast, simple, and extremely effective.
Added June 28. 2015: The 7 minute video, "A fungal disease origin for 'hearing voices' (schizophrenia)" has just been uploaded. Created by Piotr Kawecki and narrated by Dr. McFetridge, it explains with illustrations the subcellular biology of the most common form of 'voices'.
Added June 1, 2015: Marta Czepukojc, who teaches our Institute's Spiritual Emergency course for therapists, will be attending the 'UK Spiritual Crisis Network National Conference' on June 12 at Gimingham, North Norfolk, UK.
Added April 20, 2015: Grant McFetridge PhD and Thomas Gagey MD will be presenting a paper titled "A fungal disease origin for schizophrenic voices" at the International Review of Psychosis and Bipolarity conference in Lisbon, Portugal April 26-28, 2015. [Note April 26: Dr. McFetridge cancelled his presentation due to illness.]
Added Dec 11, 2014: Lectures on subcellular psychobiology by Dr. McFetridge are now online. Filmed in Denmark in 2007, these lectures cover some of the basics of this new field, including some of the safety issues.
Added Nov 21, 2014: We now have an in-house weekend course on treating spiritual emergencies that fulfills that Peak States Therapist certification requirement. It is taught from a subcellular and developmental psychobiology perspective. Our new Spiritual Emergencies textbook will be used in the course.
Added Nov 15, 2014: Our Subcellular Psychobiology Diagnosis Handbook has been published and is now on Amazon, where you can 'look inside the book'. Written for therapists and psychiatrists, it is used in our professional training. You might enjoy our blog about how this work came about, and why it took us 12 years to publish.
Added Sept 30, 2014: A 'how-to' article for therapists on what 'pay for results' means and how to implement it in their practice. It is a copy of chapter 3 and appendix 10 from our new Subcellular Psychobiology Diagnosis Handbook.
Added April 7, 2014: Now online is a two hour video explaining the Inner Peace state and our trauma-based approach for acquiring it. Filmed in 2002, it shows people using the process in a workshop setting and their results. We've also included a short blog entry about the history of the film and what happened to it.
Added Jan 27, 2014: On a new safety bulletin webpage, we explain that suicidal feelings are caused by a triggered placenta death trauma from birth; and discuss the ramifications for therapy and treatment.
Added Sept 23, 2013: Our clinics now have a 'pay for results' treatment for ADHD.
Added Aug 22, 2013: Paula Courteau's new book, Whole-Hearted Healing™ Workbook has been published in English and in Danish. It is available from Amazon. For more information, go to the Bookstore page.
Added May 9, 2013: Dr. McFetridge will be in Krakow, Poland from June 14 - July 17. He will be giving PeakStates therapist support classes and a month long therapist training in Polish.
Note to readers, Jan 15, 2013: We are upgrading our software for the website to a newer version. Expect problems in viewing various pages. If you want to report a problem, email Grant at PeakStates.com. Thanks for your patience!
Added September 5, 2012 - We made a new website, designed for clients who wish to find and work with a PeakStates therapist. It is simple, with simple information for clients, such as descriptions of the various conditions and problems we can treat well. Clicking on the menu bar "Find Trained Therapists" sends you there automatically. www.PeakStatesTherapy.com
Added August 4, 2012 - We added a forum to our site - see the main navigation bar on the left. This is an experiment, we hope it will be useful for people who are interested in state of the art approaches to peak states being done by various organizations; and to give a place for the public to ask questions about WHH and trauma healing.
Added July 13, 2012 - Radio interview with Dr. McFetridge about the peak states research and applications. You can download the file (right click on this link, 28MB) or listen to it on the webpage. It aired Saturday June 2, 2012. (Note: the link has been repaired - Aug 12, 2012)
Added October 13, 2011 - New short explanatory videos about peak states and our work are now available. See www.youtube.com/user/InstitutePeakStates about peak states. Other videos about our clinical processes are at www.youtube.com/user/peakstatestherapy.
Added July 3, 2011 - We are re-starting our training program for therapists and laypeople.
We use the MailChimp system to distribute newsletters for the Institute for the Study of Peak States. Type your email address in the box below then hit return to register with us. We will not pass on your email address, nor send any emails other than the newsletters. (To end your subscription, simply hit the cancel subscription link at the bottom of every newsletter.)
...or visit our Forum